Monday 14 July 2008

HQ

Happiness they say, is the latest to join the 'Quotient' bandwagon. That is to say, the newest parameter of judging a person, in a quantifiable form, is the Happiness Quotient or 'HQ' as it is lovingly (or lazily) called.

Of course, the usual questions have been asked. Is it possible to quantify something as qualitative as happiness. And even, if it can be, is it not relative? The sight of a decadent chocolate cake can make me happy (so totally!) , and the person in front of me in the queue taking it, can make me sad. But of course, when we think about it, these are all questions that can be answered easily, so I will not dwell on them. Anyway, I digress.

The more important thought that passed my mind was this: Is it really our choice to be happy? I've heard that it is. All motivational speakers say that at least. Fortunately, I haven't been through a major depression since I read this quotation. So, therefore, that is why, I will not be able to authenticate the authenticity this statement. But yes, I have had those 'blue days', and yes, I have managed to make myself happy on those days! True story.

There are bigger questions though. If it's true, why aren't all of us happy? If everybody realises this now, will the world become happier? (A recent survey proved that most Earthlings are happier today than they were in decades... I digress again.) These are questions I have no answers to.

What I have realised now though, is that happiness is, indeed, a choice we make. Sometimes, it is as simple as moving our focus on to something new. Something different and challenging. Sometimes, it is about spending some time with ourselves, alone. Sometimes, it is as simple as eating a bar of chocolate! So am I saying that doing all this will ensure happiness? No, I am saying that deciding you will be happy, will make you happy.

You don't believe me? Try it out yourself the next time you are low.

No comments: